Top page > From NRIB > NRIB Q & A


<NRIB Services>

Q Can anyone participate in a NRIB lecture meeting?
A Yes. NRIB holds a lecture meeting each year in May. The lectures provide up-to-date information on the latest research results, and a special lecturer is invited. The lecture meeting is open to anyone with an interest in attending. Related information will be posted on our Web site when further details become available.

Q Does NRIB hold an open day?
A Yes. Along with the other institutions in Hiroshima Central Science Park, we hold an open day once per year. On the open day, you are welcome to visit our alcoholic beverage pilot production plants, where our staff will explain the science and technology of alcoholic beverages. Related information will be posted on our Web site when further details become available.

Q When and how can we visit NRIB?
A Groups of 10 or more can arrange for a tour of the alcoholic beverage production experiment building. For an appointment, Please contact us at least one week before a planned visit. Facility tours are available 9:00-12:00 and 13:00-17:00 from Monday to Friday, excluding national holidays. Depending on circumstances, we may not be able to accept all requests. Visiting tours organized for profit are not accepted.

Q How can we access previous NRIB research results?
A All of our published research results are documented in our annual "Report of the NRIB" which is sent to relevant universities and research institutes in various prefectures. These reports are also available in our company library. The list of published reports dating from 2004 is available on our Web site in both Japanese and English.

Q How can I get newsletters and other publications from NRIB?
A Our newsletter, entitled "NRIB" (in Japanese), and other publications are available for viewing or download as PDF files on our Web site.
These include "Introduction to Sake" (a leaflet for sake beginners available in English, simplified and traditional Chinese, and Korean), "The Story of Sake" (a booklet about sake available in English), and "Glossary of Terms on Sake Bottle Labels" (available in a variety of languages).

Q Can we obtain microbiological resources from NRIB?
A We do make our microbiological brewing resources available, but only for research purposes, and only with the consent of the President. Please contact us for further details.

Q Can foreigners become research trainees?

Yes. Foreigners can be accepted as research trainees with the consent of the President as long as they fulfill at least one of the following conditions:

  1. Currently a student in a department related to brewing in an overseas university who has been recommended by their university.
  2. A graduate from a department related to brewing in an overseas university who has been awarded a scholarship from their home country.
  3. Currently engaged in brewing-related research in an overseas university or institute and has been recommended by their university/institute.
Q Do research trainees have to pay tuition? Is any type of allowance or salary paid?
A No tuition fee is required, and no allowance or salary is paid to research trainees.

Q I would like to work at NRIB.
A Information regarding the recruitment of research staff with fixed-term contracts will be posted on our Japanese Web site when such positions become available. Although there are no restrictions based on nationality, proficiency in Japanese is mandatory.

<Information concerning alcoholic beverages>

Q How can I get access to statistics such as sake production and consumption per capita?
A The National Tax Agency provides statistics related to production and consumption of alcohol beverages. Although this Web site is only available in Japanese, tables showing relevant data are available in both Japanese and English.

Q How can I get information on the types of sake, shochu, etc. currently available on the market?
A For general information regarding sake and shochu, please click the 'About sake etc.' tab at the top of this Web site. The Web sites of some manufacturers and related organizations are available in English and a variety of other languages.

National Research Institute of Brewing